Monday, April 21, 2008

Tasty Spare Ribs


Baked honey glazed spare ribs



Marinate for at least one hour before cooking


Living overseas meant that I always end up experimenting with the ingredients I have to work with and some dishes turned out better than others! I am also a great believer of sauces as if the basic fresh ingredients are unavailable or too expensive, then make do with the cheaper alternative!

Here's one easy (and very popular dish with my friends) dish if you can find the sauces in your hometown....

GRILLED/BAKED SPARE RIBS

Ingredients:

600 - 700 grams of spare ribs (about 5 pieces; chopped up if desired)
1 tablespoon of Hoi sin sauce *
2 tablespoon of Char Siu sauce *
Honey for brushing

* I like to use Lee Kum Kee's sauces and I can get them easily in Kiwi supermarkets

Directions:

Marinate the ribs with the two sauces at least for one hour before cooking.

You have a choice of baking (if you have the time) or grilling (if you do not). I baked the above lot at 180 deg preheated oven for 20 minutes and then turning it over and baked the other side for another 10 minutes or so. I brushed honey (NZ has so many variety of wonderful honey) 5 minutes before I serve the ribs.

If you decide to grill, watch out that you do not burn the ribs.

Optional: If you like to make a sauce to pour over the ribs, collect the liquid from the baking tray and stir in a teaspoon of cornflour to thicken the sauce and heat for 20 seconds in the microwave. My daughter loves the sauce on her steamed rice!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

now you are making me hungry!
Thanks for the tip.