Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Living in a Backpacker hostel!


And I really mean living in one unlike just passing through!  I just found out last night that a lot of the people in the backpacker hostel I am in are actually living in it for several months or more or even a year or so!  Why?  There is just no cheap rental accommodation for these young people who came to NZ on a one or 2 year work and holiday visa so they live in a backpackers where they rent a bed for about $26 per night with free utilities and also free wireless internet and kitchen with all the utensils and all the other things in a normal kitchen.  I saw one guy making pizza last night.  Most of the people come from Ireland, Great Britain, Europe and South America and most are waiting for the winter ski season where there will be more jobs.  Most of them like to stay in Queenstown where an American described to me as very similar to Colorado where he originates from.  

I can never live like they do i.e. share everything with everyone and put up with everyone.  I hear interesting snippets of conversations where they look for jobs as well as any possible rental accommodation coming up.    They probably can do better elsewhere but they just want to stay around Queenstown where everything is expensive as most properties here start from at least half a million NZ dollars.  This is the first time I learnt that people actually live in backpackers!


No comments: