Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Long distance travel....is it worth it?

We are now visiting with my parents for Christmas and we had to travel a total of 14 hours in the plane plus spending another 4 hours in transit at airports! We have been doing this ritual for the past 3 years and I find that I am not really looking forward to the journey to go back to my parents.

Why? First, there's the dreaded packing! Then there's all the arrangements to make to deal with leaving home for two years! And it just ocurred to me now that I have forgotten to water my house plants before we left!!! Oh well... Then there's the waiting at the airports for your flight. The recent rule about not allowing passengers to carry more than 100ml of liquid in the hand luggage means that everyone has to buy water while in transit! Exhorbitant amount! We had to thrown away a 1/3 bottle of water which I bought at the airport for $3! And just our luck after all of us have boarded the plane, there was a computer problem and we had to sit in the plane for 45 minutes for the engineers to sort out the problem. When then meant a delay of 45 minutes on landing in KLIA. But before that my daughter and I also felt pain in our ears as the pressure of descending gets to us. I was quite miserable on the very last leg of our journey with very bad ear pain in my right ear. On top of that we also encountered some problems with our tickets on our last flight but fortunate the problem could be solved.

All in all, I am really exhausted and now fighting to get over the jet lag. Then in about 11 days time we have to make our journey back to NZ! I wonder if there's anyone out there who do not like travelling to and from destinations like me........

No comments: