Monday, December 10, 2007

A Miracle a Week

A few years ago I participated in a church group discussion and I shared about how my prayers were answered. A lady in her seventies then pointed out to me that they are miracles and that I should write them down. So this is one of the reasons why I wanted to have a blog so that I can share with everyone on how my faith in God has strengthen from day to day. I will share my miracles as I remember them but not in any particular order. I just hope that it will help inspire people to turn to God and that He will answer to your needs.

About 3 years ago we were living in Hamilton, in the North Island in New Zealand and we had lived there for over a year since I got my first teaching job after teacher's college. We were not particularly happy living in Hamilton after living in Christchurch for a year. I was teaching in a state high school and we had some very challenging students there. Being a returning Catholic, I decided that I wanted to teach in a Catholic school as I like to include my faith in my daily teaching and I am not allowed to in the state schools. So I started applying for jobs in Catholic schools in both north and south islands. There were only 2 vacancies in the south island but a few more in the north. I did not expect much out of the south as I was told that it is harder to get a job in the south if you are Asian. So, imagine my surprise when I was called for an interview in Timaru, a small town in the south island. I had to catch 2 flights to Christchurch and then drive myself to Timaru, about 1 1/2 drive or so. I got into the school at about 4 pm and I was told I had an interview at 6pm. By then I was really exhausted from my travelling and my interview did not go well. Somehow I had a feeling that I did not get the job so I thought...oh well......

Then a week later I got a phone call from a high school in Dunedin. The furthest I have applied for and the least thought I have given to the possibility of getting a job there. I thought, "Here goes again....I will have to find someone that I can leave my daughter with as it will be another overnight trip." So when the acting principal asked me,"Are you still interested in the job you applied for?" I said, "Yes...." Then he said," We would like to offer you the job...." And I thought,"Did I get it right??? They are offering me a job and without an interview!" I could not believe my ears! Then he went on and asked if I will accept the job or I needed time to think about it." Earlier, I had already prayed for guidance for a job and I have already told God that basically I would go where He wanted me to go! So I said, "Yes, I accept the job offer." So now we are here 3 years later, still in Dunedin.

I really believe that God gave me my present job and it was better than the one in Timaru as Dunedin is a bigger town with lots of interesting places and culture and to my daughter, the newest and best ice skating rink in New Zealand. So I really believe that when we pray and ask God for something and nothing happens for a while, we have to be patient as when He delivers, it will be better than what we have asked for!

No comments: