Friday, May 2, 2008

Giant Pumpkins!

Giant pumpkins at Millers Flat


Lots of giant pumpkins!


The 204 kg NZ record size pumpkin!!!


On my drive out to Queenstown, I passed this shop which caught my eye and I thought I'd stop on the way back to take some pictures.

I found out that it is a shop selling pumpkins including giant pumpkins and decorative gourds.  Thought I'll share some of the photos with you including that of the biggest pumpkin in New Zealand, all 204 kg of it!!! 

Found that these pumpkins are not for eating but restaurants purchase them for decoration over the winter months.  The unsold pumpkins will be fed to the sheep later on.  These pumpkins were planted in November last year and harvested about this time of the year.

We did not buy any pumpkins but bought some apples and walnuts instead.  Jo-Ann had a fun time cracking and eating walnuts yesterday and today!

No comments: