Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Valentine's Day - It is all overrated and commercialized!

Image:Valentineanddisciples.jpg

Wikipedia says this day is named after two among the numerous Early Christian martyrs named Valentine. The day became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished.

But today it is all about buying over priced flowers and gifts exchanging. Don't get me wrong as I am not a 'sour grape' as my daughter's school teacher will always get them to draw and make a card for this day and I will get a card from someone I love. And that it really touching! But I just think that some people put so much effort on this day that for the rest of the year, their loved ones do not get any show of love. I have a friend who is married for over twenty years and every week her husband makes sure that she has a small vase of flowers on her table at work! I call that real love and effort! I think it is better than paying the florist 200% on flowers on February 14th every year!

No comments: