Friday, February 15, 2008

Laws for Teenagers

In New Zealand, children under 14 years old must be supervised by someone 14 years or older.  But at the age of 15 years, they can start to get their learners' driving permit.  Then at 16 years old, they can leave school and home legally!  In fact in a lot of schools, principals cannot wait for the 16th birthdays of their truants or misfits of society so they can tell them to shape up or ship out!

In my opinion, it does not make much sense that a teenager cannot stay at home by themselves but 12 months later, he or she can get behind the car and maybe even kill someone on the road some day.......  

Schools are also fighting a losing battle with smokers and alcoholics, too!  Today, I learnt from a 16 year old that her father supplies her with the booze and she just have to use her own pocket money to buy her own cigarettes.  To add to this shocking information, her father is a high court judge who may one day have his own daughter in his court for drunk driving!  Lots of students informed me that their parents who are smokers supply them with the cigarettes, too!  I know who the smokers are because whenever I get my form class to pray, I do not need to find a lighter or matches for my candle!  There will always be someone who has a light!

Teachers today may have smaller classes to teach but today's teenagers are harder to manage with the removal of any physical punishment of any kind.  It is ridiculous as I once had a student threw a paper dart with a drawing pin at the pointed end and it hit me in the head and was stuck to my head until I removed it!  Later it dawned on me as to what might have happened if it had hit another student in the eye or some other part of the body.  I would have been in big trouble if that had happened!  But nothing much happened to that boy apart from his mother being called in to a conference with the assistant principal.  The mother did not even say anything or apologize to me for his son's actions!  Well, I left the school not long after the incident. 

It can be stressful as a teacher in the high school.  We cannot touch our students but we can get beaten up by them and that has happened in a lot of schools, too!  We are told not to break up fights physically as there is no help for us if we can injured in the process!  

It is now a scary and violent world even in schools these days!

2 comments:

JamyTan said...

One of my friends was so badly hurt by her high school students. Her arms, legs, shoulder, she's nearly disable. She decided enough is enough and went back to nursing school (she has Ph.D in education). She said it's just not possible to teach in public school nowsadady.
She said it's not so much of the kids, it is the parents who do not implement any limit-setting !
When my husband told me discipline start at 8 months old. I thought he was crazy but now I realized he was right on spot.

Good post, stumbled !
Jamy

Kiwi Laksa said...

Yes, in my experience in New Zealand, most parents have no control of their kids past 16 years old as that is the legal age to leave home although the legal drinking age is 18 years old....

We just try our best and keep praying for those we think needs the most of God's help if they are not getting much at home!