Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Pursuit of Wealth - Does it equal to happiness?

The Pursuit of Wealth - Does it equal to happiness?

When I was a young student I sometimes envy wealthy families who bought their children lots of expensive things and gave them lots of holidays abroad.  Coming from a middle class family, my mother was a great saver as she saved to give both my brother and me an education in Canada and the United States.

Having the opportunity to study abroad meant that we have a great experience not only in getting a good education but also had the chance to make great friends from many countries and getting an awesome experience too. 

Years after I did get a career in the petroleum industry for about 15 years.  During that time I earned a decent salary but never thought of pursuing wealth as an ultimate goal in my life.  I have school friends who did and their lives revolved around the material world.  Some of course did not think that way and distanced themselves from those who did.  For me I do my best not to judge my friends and still stay in touch with them as long as they are friends to me.  It is not my business if their aim in life is lots of money or just live a simple but happy life.

When I moved to New Zealand, my first priority was to get my teaching diploma and then I knew that teaching would allow me to spend all my daughter's school holidays with her.  We were never rich but we were alright.  We never had to starve and always had a roof over our heads and clothes to wear!  My daughter went to an all girls school where the girls came from mainly families who were quite well off.  She always came home about how some of her friends were going for holidays abroad, etc.  Recently she found that one of her friends was not as rich as she thought them to be.  Instead her mother did some dodgy accounting which allowed them to live a luxurious life but now she is on the run from the law!  My daughter now understands that not all is rosy in families who seemed to be well off!

About 3 years ago, I lost a friend to stomach cancer as she found out too late!  Doctors gave her 3 months to live without chemo or 9 months with chemo.  Her husband and her were quite wealthy but they did not spend their money frivolously.  As they could afford it they went for the unsubsidized chemo drugs which finally allowed her to live for another 15 months.  Despite their money you still cannot beat cancer.

Recently I lost someone in my childhood who was related to me too.  I found that he was rejected as a young man by his girlfriend as he came from a poor family.  I think after that he made his goal in life to make a lot of money!  He did and accumulated enough wealth and built a mansion for his mother and sister and for him, too.  He continued to achieve success in his career.  His first marriage did not work out as he married quite young and she was also from a wealthy family.  That probably fueled him further to be successful financially.  He did remarry but had no children.  Despite his wealth, it all ended in a very tragic freak accident where he lost his life at 54 years old.  I kept thinking was his life really worth all that pursuance of money?  He was still working when he died and did not even get to enjoy all his wealth.  As he did not have any children, he was cremated and his ashes were thrown near a temple by the sea...  The tragic thought for me was he was probably focused in making himself wealthy to show those who rejected him and looked down at him because of money....

Is the pursuit of money really worth it?  Having lots of money does not mean that it will make you happy!  To me health is more important and not even money can help you when you have an incurable disease!  I live my life by letting GOD direct my life and trying to discover what HIS will is for me and to live according to GODs will.  I have faith in GOD that HE will always take care of my needs and never let me despair!


No comments: