Friday, January 9, 2009

International Air Travel

I have just got back from travelling back to Malaysia for about 3 weeks.  What I discovered was the inconvenience of air travel these days.  

First, Air NZ has restriction on amount of check in luggage, i.e. one piece per passenger and not more than 25 Kg.  And they worry about people breaking their backs carrying heavy bags!  Hand luggage is not more than 7 kg.

Next my girl decided she wanted to bring her skates and that she was going to hand carry them but nooooo!  At the boarding gate, we were told we had to check in the skates so I had to fork out NZ$15 for the extra piece of luggage as we had already checked in 2 pieces of bags.

When we got to the international airport in Auckland, we had to repack everything (because fo the skates) only to find out about the liquids in hand luggage limitations and at the last minute I had to open up our luggage  (we were checking in at the same time) to squeezed all the manuka honey jars into one of our bags.

Even then I missed out a half full bottle of shampoo which was still in the hand luggage so I told security he can chuck it out.  It just seems ridiculous the liquid rule only applies for international but not the domestic which means to say it is alright to bomb the domestic flights but not the international ones???!

As we were passing through security towards boarding our flight back to NZ, I saw a couple in front who got pulled over for having several big bottles of lotion and perfume in the lady's hand luggage.  Boy!  Did I feel sorry for her as I know that she will loose them all as I doubt they will check them in for her as everyone was already boarding the plane.  Even with all the notices at the check in counter people still do not read or following instructions and get caught up and lose money in the process.


No comments: