Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Teenagers will be teenagers!


This is my 100th posting!  I have been wondering what to write about and finally something happened in school today which I thought amused me a lot.

I normally put my notes for my students to copy on powerpoint so today was not different.  Only the students were rather restless and noisy so I told them I am not going to wait for anyone who talks but will wait for anyone who does not talk and writes away.  Then some boys objected and I reminded them that they could not talk and write at the same time as 'boys cannot multitask'.... Well, of course I provoked them and got them protesting and calling me sexist!  But my point was proven when the loudest point started arguing with me using his writing hand to make his point and then, I happily pointed out to him that what I say was correct!  He was talking and not writing at the same time!  That was quite amusing as it got more of the boys to quieten down to copy the notes.  

Then another boy said, "I wonder if there was anything boys could do that girls cannot."  I could not help myself and said that I will enlightened them on some biology and that in the future when they and their spouses or partners could not have baby boys, then they should remember that only males have the Y chromosome and they are the ones responsible for not having any boys and not their wives.  It was amusing to me as it took them by surprise and it took about a minute before it click with them to absorb in what I was on about.....

No comments: