Sunday, August 10, 2008

Do you remember everything you see?

I was helping out ice skating club with marshalling this past weekend at the South Island Figure Skating Championship.  A female skater was doing a double jump when she fell to land and thus ended up on the ice.  I saw it happened as I was in charge of getting the skaters on the ice for their warm-up and their programme.  But when someone asked me can you describe what happened?  For the life of me, I could not describe it as it all happened so fast!  All I remember is she fell and did not get up so her sister who is also a skater went in to check on her first when she failed to pick herself up and continue skating.  Fortunately she did not break any bones I think but fell on her hip.  

Now I understand when people said they cannot recall when they saw.  If it happened really fast, it may not even register on your brain later!  I mean we saw it happened but cannot describe how it occurred after that.  I was not even traumatised as it was nothing to do with me but imagine someone who witnessed something terrible and expected to recall everything later!  How can they remember?!!!

Incidentally, Jo-Ann did come in first again in her division but failed to make it on time to the prize giving so missed out on all the photo taking opportunity!

No comments: