Sunday, June 22, 2008

Prayer Reflection

Life has been really hectic lately with mid year reports due and also there was the mid year exams so lots of papers to mark and then lots of comments to write.  Then my girl had her club championship today so I ended going to Sunday mass in a different parish which cater mostly to the university community.  While I was there I say this beautiful poem by Joy Cowley, a very famous author of children's books, in the weekly bulletin which I thought I'll share with you.

The Heart of Stone by Joy Cowley

There are times when I've cried out,
"God, give me back my heart of stone
and a ladder so that I can climb
up to my head and live there
with doors and windows shut on feeling.
God, God.  I'm tired of all the hurt.
For a little while, let me live
a second-hand life.  Let me tread
the safe path of other people's ideas.
Just let me  drop this awesome responsibility
you have given me, to grow
through love and pain."

Then I remember what it's like 
to exist with a heart of stone.
How cold and dead I felt inside,
and how divided the world was
when viewed without love in my heart.

Remembering, I poor myself before God
and whisper into His waiting,
"My God, there is no going back.
It has to be a soft heart,
one that is always vulnerable
to love and wounding
which is life,
which is growth,
which is You.

Keep within me, my God
the heart of flesh


No comments: